2 Tips for Baby Crib Shopping
Baby’s first bed will be the most important purchase decision you will need to make when designing the nursery. Here are two tips that will help you make the right decision.
1. Research online…
Who has the time to traipse from store to store – specially while pregnant – looking for the perfect baby crib ? Use the internet as a helpful time-saving resource to narrow down your picks, read crib reviews by other parents, learn about the latest in baby furniture styles and find the best prices!
2. Then test drive the crib at a bricks and mortar store.
(When you’re ready you can BUY online or at the store.)
- Look at the workmanship – does the crib look well made?
- Do the crib slats meet the safety standards of 2 3/8 inches apart? Crib rails should be at least nine inches from the crib mattress when lowered and 26 inches above the crib mattress when raised completely.
- Do the baby crib’s side rails come down on one side, both sides or all sides? This will be important once baby is home and you will be reaching in and out of her crib on a frequent basis. (NOTE: even more important for moms who may have C-sections.)
- Is the crib stable? You need to be able to give the crib a good shake – then ask yourself “How does it hold up?” , “Is it shaky and unstable?”.
- Will a standard crib mattress fit nice and snug in the crib? Some European or non-standard baby cribs may be too small or too large – ask the furniture sales clerk if you have any doubts.
- Ask what the lead time for delivery is – hopefully the crib will be delivered before baby
The Decorating Diva is a luxury home design magazine and lifestyle journal dedicated to the concept of living a stylish and comfortably elegant life at home – joyfully surrounded by the beautiful things you love. Join, Carmen, The Decorating Diva’s founder, as she blogs about sophisticated, smart, stylish and beautiful decor for your home and shares her decorating and style advice with you. Follow her and several of our wonderful contributors on inspirational design trips as they explore enchanted lands both far and near – returning with a delightful treasure trove of design finds for your home.