5 Tips For Buying An Outdoor Rug
1. Decide what the purpose of the outdoor rug will be. Will it be used in a high traffic area, under a dining table where there will be little foot traffic or perhaps the rug is destined for an area near the pool? For a rug that will see lots of foot traffic (of the dry variety) you will want to buy a rug with high durability and one that is easy to clean. For a rug that will welcome wet feet, you will want a high durability rug that quickly dries and has “grip” to prevent accidental falls.
2. What’s your style? Is your outdoor furniture contemporary or traditional? Take note and look for a rug that will complement your outdoor living style.
3. What’s your budget? Save time and gas by narrowing down your budget. If your budget for a new outdoor rug is $150 then don’t spend too much time looking for outdoor rugs that cost more than that. Of course, always keep an eye out for seasonal sales – sometimes you’ll be able to pick up a much more expensive rug at a price that won’t bust your budget!
4. In the area where the rug will reside: block off the rug size you are considering with painter’s tape. Place your outdoor furniture inside the taped area. How does it look? Do you need to consider a larger rug or perhaps a smaller size? Repeat this process until you find the perfect size.
5. When at the rug store bring your rug dimensions and ask the store clerk for assistance. If the rug is hanging, request that it be taken down and placed on the floor. When a rug is hanging it is very difficult to get a true appreciation for it’s size, shape, pattern and color.
The Decorating Diva is a luxury home design magazine and lifestyle journal dedicated to the concept of living a stylish and comfortably elegant life at home – joyfully surrounded by the beautiful things you love. Join, Carmen, The Decorating Diva’s founder, as she blogs about sophisticated, smart, stylish and beautiful decor for your home and shares her decorating and style advice with you. Follow her and several of our wonderful contributors on inspirational design trips as they explore enchanted lands both far and near – returning with a delightful treasure trove of design finds for your home.