6 Designing Tips for Small Spaces
A small space doesn’t have to be a design liability when you remember the following principles:
1. Use light colors on upholstery, walls and all major furniture pieces such as entertainment units. Use monochromatic color schemes so that the space appears to visually flow unobstructed.
2. Use glass top tables or acrylics instead of solid woods. Since the glass is “see-thru” it will give the appearance of space.
3. Opt for furniture that “floats” (recessed toe kicks, no sofa skirts, blank space at foot) it will create the illusion of more floor space. Look for sofas with low profiles and slim arms such as the Hawthorne sofa from Room and Board pictured on the right . Also when purchasing furniture keep in mind that size does matter. Small spaces will feel cluttered and overwhelmed with standard size furniture. Lucky for us apartment size sofas, tables and other furniture now make it so easy to decorate small spaces. I stress to my clients that when shopping for furniture that they take along a tape measure because what looks small in the showroom may be way too large for their home. Numbers don’t lie so remember to take the tape measure with you.
4. Floating wall shelves are attractive and do not take up precious floor space. I highly recommend their use.
5. Keep the space well lit – darkness makes rooms appear smaller than they really are. I like to use mirrors to bounce light around small rooms. The mirrors also multi-task as they create the illusion of more space by visually enlarging the room.
6. Plan for multi-purpose furniture such as storage ottomans that serve as seating, storage and as a table top. By purchasing the multiple use ottoman you have essentially freed up the space it would take for a small table with storage capability.
Decorating Website Suggestions: Apartment Therapy
The Decorating Diva is a luxury home design magazine and lifestyle journal dedicated to the concept of living a stylish and comfortably elegant life at home – joyfully surrounded by the beautiful things you love. Join, Carmen, The Decorating Diva’s founder, as she blogs about sophisticated, smart, stylish and beautiful decor for your home and shares her decorating and style advice with you. Follow her and several of our wonderful contributors on inspirational design trips as they explore enchanted lands both far and near – returning with a delightful treasure trove of design finds for your home.