Becoming a Decorator
I’ve received half a dozen emails lately asking me how to become an interior decorator. Typically I reply privately to the individual requesting the information but I thought it would be a good idea to also share some of the general tips and advice with all of my blog readers. The decorating career tips below are what has helped me develop and grow my business:
- If you’re new to decorating or design then it’s best if you have a mentor to learn from and possibly work with. The important thing is to grow a base of happy customers who sing your praises. When you are ready you can branch out on your own – hopefully bringing your client base with you as well as a nice portfolio you can show potential clients.
- I always suggest that any new (or even experienced) business person take advantage of the local Small Business Development Council (SBDC) resources at their local college or chamber of commerce. They offer networking events, business workshops and provide assistance in obtaining business funding.
- Another idea to get your name out in decorating circles is to donate your time and decorating talent to events such as The Festival of Trees or other design based charity fund-raisers.
- If you don’t have a formal design background, then you should read as many design and decorating books as possible and start applying what you learn from them.
- In addition to industry specific books you will find that design and architectural magazines are wonderful sources for acquiring decorating knowledge and inspiration. They help you see how different designers and architects interpret any given style and what it was that inspired them.
- In addition to the above, I personally like to study design store displays and home decor catalogs such as West Elm and the very new Brocade Home among others to see how the set designers created their vignettes.
- There are many online sites that I review and find inspiration from – I will be compiling a list of my top five favorites and posting them in the near future.
- Finally, I derive a great deal of my inspiration from the runways (haute couture drives the upcoming trends in home decor), nature, art, design shows and common every day items.
The Decorating Diva is a luxury home design magazine and lifestyle journal dedicated to the concept of living a stylish and comfortably elegant life at home – joyfully surrounded by the beautiful things you love. Join, Carmen, The Decorating Diva’s founder, as she blogs about sophisticated, smart, stylish and beautiful decor for your home and shares her decorating and style advice with you. Follow her and several of our wonderful contributors on inspirational design trips as they explore enchanted lands both far and near – returning with a delightful treasure trove of design finds for your home.