The Decorating Diva.com’s 9 Favorite Design Miami/ Exhibits
1. Netscape installation by Konstantin Grcic, with backdrop of Design Miami/ temporary structure designed by Moorehead & Moorehead.
Designer of the Year Konstantin Grcic swinging on his design installation commission (exclusive to Design Miami/), “Netscape” – which was one of my favorite design installations at the fair.
2. Kiki Van Eijk glass design “Dream” at the Venice Projects booth. Dream, is one of seven elements Kiki has rendered in glass that depict the elements of life.
3. Jean Royere at Galerie Patrick Seguin. The very definition of elegance and beautiful design. This was my favorite designed booth.
4. A perennial favorite, Cristina Grajales Gallery, is a must see at each Design Miami/ fair. Two of my favorite pieces are Sebastian Errazuriz’s organic book shelf “Metamorphosis”, and Hechizoo’s woven metal rug (gold-plated silver, steel and tin, and available for $400 SQFT).
5. Carpenters Workshop Gallery’s exhibit of ethereally beautiful design was captivating. From Marcel Wanders’ gilded “Bon Bon” chair to Lonneke Gordijn and Ralph Nauta’s delicate “Fragile Future” (Real Dandelion clocks, bronze and LED lights surrounded in Plexiglass.)
6. The Gallery Kreo exhibit delights the senses with extraordinary pieces from various designers including former Design Miami/ Designer of the Year recipients, The Campana brothers; current Designer of the Year, Konstantin Grcic, Hella Jongerus (leather flowers and Coffee Table Mini Swatch – the very essence of beautiful design); Alessandro Mendini (Bisazza tiled Tavolino is stunning); and Studio Wieki Somers (Frozen Cabinet – in pink is exquisite).
7. Hugo Franca at R 20th Century. Gorgeous organic design sculpted by Franca from the Pequi tree in a lush setting created by landscaping designer Raymond Jungles that captures the beauty of nature in its many forms.
8. Todd Merrill’s exhibit had a divinely curated collection of antique and Twentieth century furniture. Including some pieces by Joseph Walsh, Neal Small and Michael Coffey.
9. Gallery Seomi’s exhibit highlighted various Korean designers including Bae Sehwa (beautifully formed “Steam-14” sofa-shown below), Kim Dongwon, Jang Jin, Choi Byunghoon and Bahk Jongson.
Design Miami/ Structure and “Netscape” Installation by Konstantin Grcic
Design Miami/ Designer of the Year, Konstantin Grcic looking upon his installation, “Netscape”. The Design Miami/ temporary structure designed by Moorehead & Moorehead allowed for an intense play of lights and shadows creating an interesting and ever-changing display as the Sun moved throughout the day.
Design Miami/ 2010, in Miami Beach, is open to the public from December 1
– December 5. More information about the design fair can be found at Design Miami/ blog.