Get guests in the festive holiday mood by appealing to their five senses.
1. Sight: Delight their eyes with color, contrast (textural or visual), and your individual sense of style. I like to think of holiday decorating as a large personal art project; one you create to inspire, to entice and to bring joy to family and friends.
2. Scent: Fragrance is a powerful mood changer, use it to your advantage by using scents associated with happy memories and the holiday season. Some fragrances to try: cinnamon apple and fresh baked apple pie.
3. Hearing: Fill the room with happy, festive music that captures the essence of the season.
4. Taste: Yummy treats are expected. This is no time for ‘diet food’. The holiday season is the much anticipated break from “being good” – indulge your guests with rich and decadent cuisine.
5. Touch: Help them relax and enjoy the event by creating a comfortable environment with soft pillows and throws.