Create a Festive Mood: 5 Holiday Design Tips
Get guests in the festive holiday mood by appealing to their five senses.
1. Sight: Delight their eyes with color, contrast (textural or visual), and your individual sense of style. I like to think of holiday decorating as a large personal art project; one you create to inspire, to entice and to bring joy to family and friends.
2. Scent: Fragrance is a powerful mood changer, use it to your advantage by using scents associated with happy memories and the holiday season. Some fragrances to try: cinnamon apple and fresh baked apple pie.
3. Hearing: Fill the room with happy, festive music that captures the essence of the season.
4. Taste: Yummy treats are expected. This is no time for ‘diet food’. The holiday season is the much anticipated break from “being good” – indulge your guests with rich and decadent cuisine.
5. Touch: Help them relax and enjoy the event by creating a comfortable environment with soft pillows and throws.
The Decorating Diva is a luxury home design magazine and lifestyle journal dedicated to the concept of living a stylish and comfortably elegant life at home – joyfully surrounded by the beautiful things you love. Join, Carmen, The Decorating Diva’s founder, as she blogs about sophisticated, smart, stylish and beautiful decor for your home and shares her decorating and style advice with you. Follow her and several of our wonderful contributors on inspirational design trips as they explore enchanted lands both far and near – returning with a delightful treasure trove of design finds for your home.