Kitchen & Bath Lighting Edition: Details by Jamie Goldberg
The Decorating Diva, LLC is delighted to introduce “Details” a new kitchen and bath design column, by design expert Jamie Goldberg.
Kitchen & Bath Lighting
Lighting is probably the most critical element to consider in your kitchen and bath design. If you’re not sure what I mean, imagine this remodeled kitchen with a florescent light box on its ceiling.
Kitchen designed by Jamie Goldberg, AKBD, CAPS
Not only would the outdated lighting fixture detract from the elegant cabinetry and granite countertops, it wouldn’t deliver the light quality your kitchen deserves.
Below are some great lighting fixtures to consider for your kitchen and bath, even if you’re not planning a remodel.
Good-looking Melrose Pendants by Tech Lighting.
Brand, striking new Banja Mini Pendant from LBL Lighting.
One of my long-time favorites, the Hundi Lantern at Pottery Barn.
Holtkoetter’s 2980.1 Sconce, a sexy VML Design & Lighting suggestion.
Kalco‘s Asiana LED Module delivers energy efficiency and exotic allure.
Three essential points about kitchen lighting that you should consider:
- Do you need to augment the room’s natural light with general room lighting? This is often achieved with recessed can lighting – now available in energy-efficient LEDs.
- Is there enough light shining on your work spaces? Consider adding under-cabinet lights and an island fixture or pendants, if applicable, to illuminate those key spots.
- Is there sufficient light at your eat-in space? This doubles as homework central in many homes. In others, it’s the spot to enjoy a cup of coffee with the morning paper.
And a couple of lighting ideas for the bath:
- Do you have enough light for shaving and make-up application at your vanity? A small lighting upgrade in the bathroom can make a big difference in both functionality and style.
- Is there a water-resistant light above your tub or shower? Consider adding one if there isn’t one already.
More Details coverage of Kitchen and Bath Lighting at Jamie’s Gold Notes blog,
Jamie Talks About “Details”
Details is a five-part monthly series in which each of the kitchen and bath design columns will focus on a single room detail that can make a huge difference in the success of that room’s style. In this series, we’ll look at lighting, hardware, fabrics, faucets and accessories.
ABOUT JAMIE GOLDBERG
Jamie Goldberg, AKBD, CAPS is an NKBA-certified kitchen and bath designer and a freelance design journalist. Her articles have appeared in Signature Kitchens & Baths Magazine, Fine Homebuilding, BobVila.com, KitchenBathIdeas.com and many others. She is also a regular contributor to Kitchens.com, where her Sensible Style blog appears each month.
Jamie currently lives and works in San Diego, California, where she writes her own Gold Notes blog and serves as the Design & Marketing Director for Italian Kitchen Design and Distribution, an importer of quality European cabinetry, based in the San Diego suburb of Escondido.
The Decorating Diva is a luxury home design magazine and lifestyle journal dedicated to the concept of living a stylish and comfortably elegant life at home – joyfully surrounded by the beautiful things you love. Join, Carmen, The Decorating Diva’s founder, as she blogs about sophisticated, smart, stylish and beautiful decor for your home and shares her decorating and style advice with you. Follow her and several of our wonderful contributors on inspirational design trips as they explore enchanted lands both far and near – returning with a delightful treasure trove of design finds for your home.