Kitchen Designer Sarah Lloyd’s Citrusy Holiday Desert Recipe
Craftswoman inspired and styled kitchen design by Sarah Lloyd.
When we asked our favorite kitchen designers to submit a photo of their most beloved kitchen design project along with a cherished holiday recipe, we knew that Sarah would submit something as cheery, and fun as her personality. And she didn’t disappoint, Sarah tells us, “my recipe is for a lemony, creamy dessert concoction – it tastes light and fresh, perfect after a heavy meal”. And even better than a yummy, uplifting holiday dessert? Well, one that requires little effort (heaven sent for those of us who prefer to keep our time in the kitchen to a minimum), “.. and no cooking is required if you use a bought cake. I like to use a lemon cake for this recipe.”, reveals Sarah.
Boodle’s Orange Fool Recipe
- Thin strips of sponge cake
- Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- Grated rind and juice of 4 oranges
- 3 oz superfine sugar
- 20 fl oz (600 ml) double or heavy whipping cream, whipped softly. ( It tastes better if you can find cream that is pasteurized, but not ultra-pasteurized. Fresh from the cow would probably be better still, if you could manage it.)
- Line a deep serving dish with the thin strips of sponge.
- Mix together the grated rind and juice of the lemons and oranges with the caster sugar, and stir until dissolved.
- Thoroughly incorporate into the mixture half of the whipped cream, and pour into the sponge lining.
- Chill for several hours
- Serve with the remaining whipped cream piped on top
(Originally by Glynn Christian, Sainsbury’s Cookery Classics, 1985)
About Sarah Lloyd
Sarah is a California-based kitchen and bath designer that believes in the importance of personal expression and imagination in designing interiors, and in our responsibility to use our planet’s resources wisely and sustainably. She designs kitchens and bathrooms that work hard and make you happy, every day.
Sarah’s delightful blog Kitchen Clarity provides a creative resource for design lovers in which she shares: design inspiration discoveries from all over the world, her reflections on day-to-day life as a designer, and offers a little light relief from time-to-time.
The Decorating Diva is a luxury home design magazine and lifestyle journal dedicated to the concept of living a stylish and comfortably elegant life at home – joyfully surrounded by the beautiful things you love. Join, Carmen, The Decorating Diva’s founder, as she blogs about sophisticated, smart, stylish and beautiful decor for your home and shares her decorating and style advice with you. Follow her and several of our wonderful contributors on inspirational design trips as they explore enchanted lands both far and near – returning with a delightful treasure trove of design finds for your home.